Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Ouch!


This whopper of an egg is nearly 3 inches long and weighs 3 ounces!  I'm betting that there are 2 yolks inside there.  I'll wait til breakfast to find out.............

Meanwhile here is a brief explanation of how this happens...

Double-yolk eggs occur when ovulation occurs too rapidly, or when one yolk becomes joined with another yolk. These eggs may be the result of a young hen's productive cycle not yet being synchronized.  Some hybrid breeds of hens also produce double yolk eggs by default.  Although heredity causes some hens to have a higher propensity to lay double-yolked eggs.  Usually a double-yolked egg will be longer and thinner than an ordinary single-yolk egg.











Sure enough!  Our first double yolker.  I wonder who laid it?  I can certainly relate to her because I'm also a mother of twins. 



No comments:

Post a Comment